Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gentleman’s Essential #5: Getting Framed



Having your formerly perfect eyesight change is an eerie experience.  In the past, I would try to image what it would be like to not see everything crystal clear.  I would blur my eyes so I could empathize with my family and friends.  Fast forward to the present.  I sit in Managerial Finance, and now I’m the one squinting.  I’m not glaring at the professor (I keep my loathing inside), I’m not going for the "smolder" look - I’m simply trying my best to focus on the presented spreadsheet on the screen.  Sure enough, Dr. Jim gave the grim diagnosis – I’m nearsighted now.  Is that a bad thing?  Eyeglasses are something new to me, so let us take a look at how they factor into the gentleman’s look.

If it’s your first time getting specs, go for a slimmer frame.  The look might not be as startling to yourself if you err on the side of caution.  After you get more confident in your new look, thicker framed, plastic glasses will be your secret weapon in your image arsenal.  After all, consider JT (pictured) – he’s sporting the thick plastics and he’s pretty much succeeding in every aspect of his life. 

There are three main points to consider when buying glasses:

1.  Get an idea of what the shape of your face is and find glasses that complement your characteristics.   If you have an oval face, you’re in luck.  Just about any set of glasses will look good on you.  Squared faces should opt for glasses that have curves to soften your angles.  Whereas if you have a rounded face you should go for rectangular frames; these will give your face a more elongated look.  If you need help with this, Lens Crafters has a great resource to determine your face shape (see link below).

2.  It’s a good idea to have a couple of pairs of glasses.  This will allow you to have a more conservative look, and also have a pair that lets you express your edgy side.  The other obvious big benefit of having a second pair, is that you have a back-up in case you loose or damage your glasses.

3.  Pick a size and color that work well for your characteristics. Try to make sure to get frames that are neither more narrow nor wider than your face.  Also, coloring is important.  Anyone can pull off black or silver frames, but guys with light-brown or blonde hair can also rock the tortoise-shell frames.

While I was researching this subject for the Guy’dbook, I found a great eyeglasses service called, Warby Parker (see link below).  They’re certainly worth checking out.  They are being called “the Netflix of glasses.”  Their great styles, amazing prices, social responsibility, and customer service set this innovative company apart.  The amazing thing - they send you five frames to try for five days for free before you buy!  I have my set of five on the way.

It’s fun to experiment with different looks, but don’t try to “will” a style onto yourself.  You might see a celeb with a certain look, but it doesn’t mean it’s right for you.  If it doesn’t feel quite right, trust your instincts – after all it’s what’s gotten you this far in life! 

So don’t be afraid to augment your style with a set of glasses, gentlemen.  I’m glad this discussion has brought the situation into focus for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment