Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gentleman’s Essentials #3: Making Time


My New Media Marketing professor, Deb Ibsen, read a list of “Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know”  (Johnson, S., The Best Article Every Day, January 6, 2011).  Much to my dismay, one of the top items to get the ax was the wristwatch.  I feel that is a rather brash assumption that watches will go the way of the tape deck (and soon to be, cd player).  Admittedly, the wristwatch hasn’t been a gentlemen’s essential for too long.  Louis Cartier invented the first men’s wristwatch in 1904.  A little over a hundred years later, gentlemen rely on quality watches to help them keep time and act as the perfect style accent.  Sadly, if you were to ask a group how many wear watches, you’d only get a few hands – most people use their phones to keep time.  Just tell me something, when you watch the latest Bond movie, does Daniel Craig pull out his cell phone to check the time?  Of course not - he slides back his sleeve to reveal his Omega chronograph. 

Watches come in a variety of styles and materials depending on the purpose and look.   Let’s just keep it basic here.  The casing comes in round, rectangular/square (“tank”) shapes, in a variety of materials.  The bands typically come in metals that match the casing or leather.  Most watches are made from stainless steel or titanium and have a crystal face.  Stainless steel is ideal for your main watch.  It fits nearly any outfit or occasion, while being durable yet classy.  Choosing size of the watch face is a balance – too small and you’ll look dainty and frail; too big and people will think you’re over-compensating.  You don’t have to rob a bank to get a nice watch to accent your style.  You can don a nice watch by Armani Exchange, Diesel, or Nixon for around $150 - $300, Tissot for around $300 - $500, or a Tag Heuer starting around $600 .  At some point, any self-respecting gentleman will make the investment in a high-end timepiece like a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling.    

Why get a watch?  Men generally don’t wear too many pieces of jewelry – unless you’re going for the garish, Sopranos look.  A nice watch is a good way to show your refinement and good taste.  In researching this, many articles written by women expressed their feeling that watches made men exude sophistication, masculinity, and raw sexuality.  Aside from the functional benefits, do you really need any other reasons? 

Go pick up a nice watch guys.  It’s time.     

3 comments:

  1. I love having a watch! Currently I have a nice titanium one to go with my suits, slacks etc and a Timex I wear everyday that I don't mind getting scratched or beat-up. I misplaced my Timex for a few days a couple weeks ago and I got so annoyed having to pull out my phone to check the time at work! I will be sad when wearing a watch makes me "old." This hasn't happened yet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool that you picked up a titanium watch. That'll be a good one to hang on to. What you said made me laugh - I don't think it'll make you "old", it'll simply make you more refined and masculine. Much like leaving a short, hand-written note for your girlfriend every once in a while doesn't make you "old fashioned", it makes you "thoughtful and sweet." Agreed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, and that is a good reminder to make sure that I still do that!

    ReplyDelete